The first Daily Haiku of March, devoted to wish and hopes for the future, starts with the subject of time.


The Daily Haiku for March 1. Time.

All I want is time
to think, play, create, get bored...
You can keep the rest.

As you may know if you've been following my blog, I think being rich is not about having money, it's about having time. I don't aspire to have a big house, a yatch, a fancy car, and stuff like that. I don't even want to own a car.

We got desperate
Waiting for our cheques to come
I got drunk, you got high
You would not raise your eyes
– A Silver Mt. Zion – Take this hands and throw them to the river.

Consumerist societies are obsessed with money. We measure our success and happiness in euros or dollars. People crave for a bigger salary, not a more exciting job that does not make them feel miserable.

All I really want is time. There is just so much stuff I want to do, build, and create, so many places I want to see, so many things in my head. And I know time is the most precious asset we have. We can always generate more money, but time... every second lost it's gone forever.

In an ideal world, we should be able to enjoy our time no matter what. Life is a journey, not a destination -indeed, the destination is death ;). However, we all know that's not true. We have bills to pay and a reality to face.

Our societies have evolved since the middle ages, but the basics remain the same. There are still kings and peasants, only, there are no golden crowns making it that obvious. We are still divided between the 1% and the rest of us, that other 99%. Wealth is unevenly distributed, and your opportunities, while not set in stone, are quite determined at the moment of your birth.

So while I try my best to enjoy this journey, the goal is clear in my mind. I am running the rat-race just to get out of it.